Friday 24 April 2015

Brief 3: Design publication Crit

We had a crate on out design publications, mine was with Simon, i presented to him and the group what my methodology was and the content I was going to have, also some research i have doe already. 



My methodology 

To design substantially, to do this i look at a brief and see the ways in which a sustainable method can be applied, from the stock to distribution methods to how its printed, before any designing is done. 


For the publication i am going to take into account these things and look into different inks and paper stocks, like i could use found bits of paper and card, or paper out of bins, before i design anything, not only this but how the publication is used, how it might have a second use or be reused. Maybe thinking about it as more than just a publication. Or how it might help somebody or inform them.



Content 

How sustainability has effected my work. 

Why i am drawn to sustainable design.

Why i think its important.

How it can be applied to the areas of graphic design i like.




But at the same time, making this a publication that is useful for people or has another function than just a story of my work. 




Feedback 

From the feedback i received it helped me to narrow down what I was doing, I gave some ideas of my own such as having a book that had pop out origami pieces, but i was rightly told that this would just add unnecessary things that would become waste, or that there wouldn't be enough shapes that could be made that were actually helpful and useful for people to use. 

Some other suggestions were: 

To have brand guidelines for a sustainable company 

Could form the look of a brand guideline book 

Maybe have seeds in the book that can be planted after the book is finished, although this isn't really practical or doable within the given time.

Simon said that i could possibly just have a book that is sustainably made and that would be my methodology, represented by the book itself and just having how it was made on the blog. 

Another idea was that maybe i could create the book sustainably and then it could be used as a sketchbook or notebook. 




 I think the concept i am going to run with is where I collect a load of paper from the studio, because i already have a fare amount that i have been collecting, i can then use this to make the book and form the pages, it can also then be bound in a mechanical way so that it is sustainable, and if i have time I could print it using vegetable inks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment